LUXE’s most cherished asset is its chic coterie of city experts. We mostly value a strong curatorial eye, and boast a team of over 35 savvy, stylish, plugged-in individuals who deeply love and know the city in which they live.
A spur-of-the-moment decision to move to Bangkok brought Liz to Asia in 2003, where over a decade and three countries later, she's in Hong Kong heading up LUXE editorial.
- Liz LOVES... Chilli (on everything), getting lost in cities, hiking, people-watching at airports
- Liz LOATHES... Suburbia, MSG
She's got ten years in Hong Kong and a two-year London stint under her belt, but Jane prefers life on the go, be it whooshing down the ski slopes of Japan, road-tripping along California’s PCH, haggling with Grand Bazaar vendors in Istanbul, or sailing Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast.
- Jane LOVES... Food, flowers, a stiff drink, a good book
- Jane LOATHES... Pollution, global chainstore-itis, bad service
Liv left behind the lanes, arcades, and wide-open plains of Melbourne for the concrete jungle of Hong Kong, joining the team at LUXE after a stint at Swire Hotels.
- Liv LOVES... Escaping the city, sailing the seas of the Gulf of Gokova, unspoiled beaches in southern Sri Lanka
- Liv LOATHES... Smartphone syndrome, turbulence
Having spent the better part of her 'study years' flitting from Sri Lanka and South Africa to Iceland and Italy, Eleani joined LUXE fresh from freelancing for TimeOut Melbourne and Fairfax media.
- Eleani LOVES... Books by Jon Krakauer, orca documentaries, forecasting jaunts to Japan, Java, Cuba and Zanzibar
- Eleani LOATHES... Aeroplane headphones, haggling
After spells spent in Mexico, Madrid, Lyon, São Paulo and Hong Kong, Chloe now lives in London with her husband and two muddy mongrels and is currently planning trips to Bruges, Paris, Alaska, SoCal, Romania and Reykjavik.
- Chloe LOVES... Baking, old movies, Graham Greene novels
- Chloe LOATHES... 4x4’s in London, visor-toting tourists, airport queuing
Madrid native Marcela skipped home a few years ago after stints in Paris and Brussels. By day she’s a Spanish gastronomy and culture PR consultant, by any other time she’s looking after her baby girl, posting on her blog ‘My Little Madrid’ and keeping LUXE updated with Madrid’s best finds.
- Marcela LOVES… Discovering new restos with girlfriends, yoga, running in the Retiro, soaking up sun on Madrid’s many terraces
- Marcela LOATHES… Bling, cheap jamón, maths, people who just talk about work
Whether seeking street art in Sicily or hunting white truffles with a well-mannered Lagotto expert travel journalist Erica Firpo calls Rome her home and Italy her backyard.
- Erica LOVES... Ciampini's Cioccolato Caldo con Panna, Villa Borghese at dawn, Palazzo Farnesina, late-night scooter rides
American freelance writer and editor Jessica has been Tokyo-based since 2004, when a gap year turned into something rather more permanent.
- Jessica LOVES... Reading, running a monthly book club for other Tokyo bibliophiles.
London-born journalist and travel bug Sophie has spent six years in Melbourne, and is a big fan of its secret laneway restaurants and rooftop bars.
- Sophie LOVES... Gallery hopping at the NGV and Heide, snapping street art, discovering pop-ups, cycling, sipping coffee on Fitzroy’s Gertrude Street
An award-winning news and magazine journalist and editor of a number of books, Adrian moved to China in 2008.
- Adrian LOVES... Hidden hutong shops and restaurants, seeking out the world’s best baijiu bar, exploring Beijing’s thriving contemporary art scene
Globetrotting travel and lifestyle writer Gillian has lived in London and Hong Kong, but now calls Singapore home. Follow Gillian on Twitter @GillianRhys and Instagram @gillian.rhys
- Gillian LOVES... Hidden away rooftop bars, white wedding cake colonial architecture, living by the sea, affordable taxis, Changi airport.
Creative director, author, TV host and writer Inès fell into journalism by chance, and as a founding member of the International New York Times, is a pioneer of cultural media in South Korea.
- Inès LOVES... A perfectly chilled glass of champagne with good company anywhere, anytime
- Inès LOATHES... Negative energy
NZ-born Kate has called Melbourne and Sydney home, but joined the LUXE family while living in Istanbul. Upon relocating back to Sydney, she is rediscovering the Emerald City, distilling her very best finds for LUXE.
- Kate LOVES... Home-cooked meals, doing the Bay Run, street food wherever
- Kate LOATHES... The phrase “No problem” from anyone working in the service industry, folding washing, heavy hand luggage
Whether on safari in Botswana’s Okavango Delta or watching the opera at La Fenice in Venice, content consultant and ex-LUXE editor Kee believes that great travel experiences are made even better with a hearty meal, stiff drink, good company and a comfy bed.
After spells in New York, Singapore and Hong Kong, Nicaraguan-born LUXE lovely Valeria returned to Miami, her home city.
- Valeria LOVES... Cafe con leche (aka a Cuban latte), a good steak and a fresh ceviche
- Valeria LOATHES... Inefficient airports and souvenirs
Writer, model and founder of ethical plant-based skincare line, Cult of Treehouse, Amelia was so struck by the beguiling charm of California's sunsets, enigmatic terrain and lifestyle she decided to move there. Los Angeles has been home since 2012.
Scribe and avid foodie Chawadee has lived in Thailand on and off since 1995, and now calls Bangkok home. She enjoys all types of fried noodles, but is not a big fan of jok.
- Chawadee LOVES... Pies, anything with sticky rice, whiskey and Game of Thrones
- Chawadee LOATHES... Soggy soft-shell crabs, lukewarm congee, ice wine and Dallas Cowboys
Owner of fashion boutiques and a webshop, Valerie always finds the time (and excuses) to stay up-to-date with the latest rooftop bars, pop ups, festivals and urban beaches in her home city.
- Valerie LOVES… Work hard, play hard, boutique everything, hidden hotspots, urban jungles, cold-pressed juices and cocktails with a view
- Valerie LOATHES… Waiters who don’t serve that important first drink quickly, tourists on bikes, garbage in the streets, rain
She's trekked across Tibet, Burma, Nepal and Mexico and wandered the streets of Paris, London, and Hong Kong, but since childhood, it's Los Angeles where the Pacific Ocean meets the desert that Gemma chooses to call home.
- Gemma LOVES... New discoveries, flea markets, a Californian breakfast
- Gemma LOATHES... Mediocre dining experiences, being cold
After decades of travelling through Asia, Africa and N America, Sylvia relocated her family to Paris where she spends her days being Mom, Madame and writer for international ad campaigns, magazines and a novel (in gestation).
- Sylvia LOVES... Getting off the beaten path, art in countless forms and dramatic light
- Sylvia LOATHES... Processed foods and mean people
Texas born, globally savvy ex-broadcast journo turned PR Mary Justice Thomasson-Croll (MJ to friends) has lived on The Island of the Gods for over 12 years, and is the original LUXE Bali editor. She’s balances updating LUXE with events management and PR, and in her spare time she designs beautiful decor.
Born with a wanderlust soul, Suzanne’s career in media has taken her from Melbourne to France, Dublin and finally London, the city she currently calls home. She combines a her love of fashion, travel and writing while documenting insider travel tips on her website, secondsister.com.
An urban nomad with nine lives, Mira was born in Sarajevo and educated in the UK, where she worked for a political risk consultancy specialising in kidnapping. With stints in the Middle East and Europe, Mira now works in luxury fashion PR in Sydney. This Londoner is always on the hunt for an adventure and a great outfit, whether on the slopes of Megève or Bond Street.
- Mira LOVES... Fashion, art, adventure and romance, better still if accompanied by a cold glass of Bandol Rosé
- Mira LOATHES... A lack of integrity
Actor turned PR diva, Natasha's lived on Phuket for over a decade. When she's not repping top-notch travel clients or scouting out the best restos, bars and beaches on the rock for LUXE, she devotes times to helping dolphins, dogs and elephants. Follow Nat on Instagram @ShineTravelPR
- Natasha LOVES… Animals, beagles, walks in the jungle, people with big hearts, travel, SCUBA, champagne, and avocados
- Natasha LOATHES... Not being invited to a party, butter, plastic straws, and establishments that keep animals in captivity for tourist entertainment
Made in Chelsea, Romilly is that rare bird – a real-deal Londoner. After 5 years in Singapore, (and jetting around LUXE's Asia hotspots), Romilly is now back in London, exploring old and new haunts in her beloved home town.
- Romilly LOVES... London pubs and parks, taking black taxis and eating out – a lot
- Romilly LOATHES... Rush hour on the Tube and bad service
A trained illustrator turned costume designer then fashion stylist and scribe, Marie-Louise writes for the likes of Sunday Times Style magazine and Vanity Fair, is a contributing editor to the FT, and is editor-in-chief of Glass Magazine.
- Marie-Louise LOVES... Londoners (this city attracts some pretty special people), exploring Morocco and its souks, swimming in turtle-inhabited cenotes near Telum, Mexico
- Marie-Louise LOATHES... People eating on public transport
A tried-and-true New Yorker, multi-gonged travel journo Peter might have visited more than 50 countries, but his favourite moment of any trip is glimpsing the Manhattan skyline on his way home.
- Peter LOVES... Drinks with a view, street food, train station newsstands, 1920s architecture
- Peter LOATHES... Selfie sticks
Brit-born Philip bounced between San Francisco and Moscow before arriving in Hong Kong via London. When not soaking up the rays on the beach, he writes about travel, food and culture.
- Phil LOVES… Lasagna, attempting to take artsy photos, scuba diving with turtles and the entire Hongdae district of Seoul.
- Phil LOATHES... Traffic, British trains, loud people in small spaces, slow walkers and macaques.
Subscribe Now For US$5 Off!
Subscribe to LUXE & receive US$5 off your next
print purchase*. Bonanza!