LUXE’s most cherished asset is its chic coterie of city experts. We mostly value a strong curatorial eye, and boast a team of over 35 savvy, stylish, plugged-in individuals who deeply love and know the city in which they live.
A spur-of-the-moment decision to move to Bangkok brought Liz to Asia in 2003, where 15 years and three countries later, she's in Hong Kong heading up LUXE editorial.
- Liz LOVES... Chilli (on everything), getting lost in cities, hiking, people-watching at airports
- Liz LOATHES... Suburbia, MSG
She's got ten years in Hong Kong and a two-year London stint under her belt, but Jane prefers life on the go, be it whooshing down the ski slopes of Japan, road-tripping along California’s PCH, haggling with Grand Bazaar vendors in Istanbul, or sailing Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast.
- Jane LOVES... Food, flowers, a stiff drink, a good book
- Jane LOATHES... Pollution, global chainstore-itis, bad service
Liv left behind the lanes, arcades, and wide-open plains of Melbourne for the concrete jungle of Hong Kong, joining the team at LUXE after a stint at Swire Hotels.
- Liv LOVES... Escaping the city, sailing the seas of the Gulf of Gokova, unspoiled beaches in southern Sri Lanka
- Liv LOATHES... Smartphone syndrome, turbulence
Having spent the better part of her 'study years' flitting from Sri Lanka and South Africa to Iceland and Italy, Eleani joined LUXE fresh from freelancing for TimeOut Melbourne and Fairfax media.
- Eleani LOVES... Books by Jon Krakauer, orca documentaries, forecasting jaunts to Japan, Java, Cuba and Zanzibar
- Eleani LOATHES... Aeroplane headphones, haggling
After spells spent in Mexico, Madrid, Lyon, São Paulo and Hong Kong, Chloe now lives in London with her husband and two muddy mongrels and is currently planning trips to Bruges, Paris, Alaska, SoCal, Romania and Reykjavik.
- Chloe LOVES... Baking, old movies, Graham Greene novels
- Chloe LOATHES... 4x4’s in London, visor-toting tourists, airport queuing
Madrid native Marcela skipped home a few years ago after stints in Paris and Brussels. By day she’s a Spanish gastronomy and culture PR consultant, by any other time she’s looking after her baby girl, posting on her blog ‘My Little Madrid’ and keeping LUXE updated with Madrid’s best finds.
- Marcela LOVES… Discovering new restos with girlfriends, yoga, running in the Retiro, soaking up sun on Madrid’s many terraces
- Marcela LOATHES… Bling, cheap jamón, maths, people who just talk about work
Whether seeking street art in Sicily or hunting white truffles with a well-mannered Lagotto expert travel journalist Erica Firpo calls Rome her home and Italy her backyard.
- Erica LOVES... Ciampini's Cioccolato Caldo con Panna, Villa Borghese at dawn, Palazzo Farnesina, late-night scooter rides
American freelance writer and editor Jessica has been Tokyo-based since 2004, when a gap year turned into something rather more permanent.
- Jessica LOVES... Reading, running a monthly book club for other Tokyo bibliophiles.
London-born journalist and travel bug Sophie has spent six years in Melbourne, and is a big fan of its secret laneway restaurants and rooftop bars.
- Sophie LOVES... Gallery hopping at the NGV and Heide, snapping street art, discovering pop-ups, cycling, sipping coffee on Fitzroy’s Gertrude Street
An award-winning news and magazine journalist and editor of a number of books, Adrian moved to China in 2008.
- Adrian LOVES... Hidden hutong shops and restaurants, seeking out the world’s best baijiu bar, exploring Beijing’s thriving contemporary art scene
Creative director, author, TV host and writer Inès fell into journalism by chance, and as a founding member of the International New York Times, is a pioneer of cultural media in South Korea.
- Inès LOVES... A perfectly chilled glass of champagne with good company anywhere, anytime
- Inès LOATHES... Negative energy
NZ-born Kate has called Melbourne and Sydney home, but joined the LUXE family while living in Istanbul. Upon relocating back to Sydney, she is rediscovering the Emerald City, distilling her very best finds for LUXE.
- Kate LOVES... Home-cooked meals, doing the Bay Run, street food wherever
- Kate LOATHES... The phrase “No problem” from anyone working in the service industry, folding washing, heavy hand luggage
Whether on safari in Botswana’s Okavango Delta or watching the opera at La Fenice in Venice, content consultant and ex-LUXE editor Kee believes that great travel experiences are made even better with a hearty meal, stiff drink, good company and a comfy bed. Follow Kee's adventures @keepicks
After spells in New York, Singapore and Hong Kong, Nicaraguan-born LUXE lovely Valeria returned to Miami, her home city.
- Valeria LOVES... Cafe con leche (aka a Cuban latte), a good steak and a fresh ceviche
- Valeria LOATHES... Inefficient airports and souvenirs
Writer, model and founder of ethical plant-based skincare line, Cult of Treehouse, Amelia was so struck by the beguiling charm of California's sunsets, enigmatic terrain and lifestyle she decided to move there. Los Angeles has been home since 2012.
Scribe and avid foodie Chawadee has lived in Thailand on and off since 1995, and now calls Bangkok home. She enjoys all types of fried noodles, but is not a big fan of jok.
- Chawadee LOVES... Pies, anything with sticky rice, whiskey and Game of Thrones
- Chawadee LOATHES... Soggy soft-shell crabs, lukewarm congee, ice wine and Dallas Cowboys
Owner of fashion boutiques and a webshop, Valerie always finds the time (and excuses) to stay up-to-date with the latest rooftop bars, pop ups, festivals and urban beaches in her home city.
- Valerie LOVES… Work hard, play hard, boutique everything, hidden hotspots, urban jungles, cold-pressed juices and cocktails with a view
- Valerie LOATHES… Waiters who don’t serve that important first drink quickly, tourists on bikes, garbage in the streets, rain
She's trekked across Tibet, Burma, Nepal and Mexico and wandered the streets of Paris, London, and Hong Kong, but since childhood, it's Los Angeles where the Pacific Ocean meets the desert that Gemma chooses to call home.
- Gemma LOVES... New discoveries, flea markets, a Californian breakfast
- Gemma LOATHES... Mediocre dining experiences, being cold
After decades of travelling through Asia, Africa and N America, Sylvia relocated her family to Paris where she spends her days being Mom, Madame and writer for international ad campaigns, magazines and a novel (in gestation).
- Sylvia LOVES... Getting off the beaten path, art in countless forms and dramatic light
- Sylvia LOATHES... Processed foods and mean people
Texas born, longtime Asia dwelling, ex-broadcast journo turned style maven Mary Justice Thomasson-Croll (MJ to friends) has lived on The Island of the Gods for over 13 years, and is the original LUXE Bali editor. She’s balances updating LUXE with events management and designing a divine range of decor for export.
Born with a wanderlust soul, Suzanne’s career in media has taken her from Melbourne to France, Dublin and finally London, the city she currently calls home. She combines a her love of fashion, travel and writing while documenting insider fashion tips for LUXE and on her website, secondsister.com.
An urban nomad with nine lives, Mira was born in Sarajevo and educated in the UK, where she worked for a political risk consultancy specialising in kidnapping. With stints in the Middle East and Europe, Mira now works in luxury fashion PR in Sydney. This Londoner is always on the hunt for an adventure and a great outfit, whether on the slopes of Megève or Bond Street.
- Mira LOVES... Fashion, art, adventure and romance, better still if accompanied by a cold glass of Bandol Rosé
- Mira LOATHES... A lack of integrity
Actor turned PR diva, Natasha's lived on Phuket for over a decade. When she's not repping top-notch travel clients or scouting out the best restos, bars and beaches on the rock for LUXE, she devotes times to helping dolphins, dogs and elephants. Follow Nat on Instagram @ShineTravelPR
- Natasha LOVES… Animals, beagles, walks in the jungle, people with big hearts, travel, SCUBA, champagne, and avocados
- Natasha LOATHES... Not being invited to a party, butter, plastic straws, and establishments that keep animals in captivity for tourist entertainment
Made in Chelsea, Romilly is that rare bird – a real-deal Londoner. After 5 years in Singapore, (and jetting around LUXE's Asia hotspots), Romilly is now back in London, exploring old and new haunts in her beloved home town.
- Romilly LOVES... London pubs and parks, taking black taxis and eating out – a lot
- Romilly LOATHES... Rush hour on the Tube and bad service
A trained illustrator turned costume designer then fashion stylist and scribe, Marie-Louise writes for the likes of Sunday Times Style magazine and Vanity Fair, is a contributing editor to the FT, and is editor-in-chief of Glass Magazine.
- Marie-Louise LOVES... Londoners (this city attracts some pretty special people), exploring Morocco and its souks, swimming in turtle-inhabited cenotes near Telum, Mexico
- Marie-Louise LOATHES... People eating on public transport
A tried-and-true New Yorker, multi-gonged travel journo Peter might have visited more than 50 countries, but his favourite moment of any trip is glimpsing the Manhattan skyline on his way home.
- Peter LOVES... Drinks with a view, street food, train station newsstands, 1920s architecture
- Peter LOATHES... Selfie sticks
Stylish and sassy, cultural voyageur and longtime Saigon resident Dror Lam is the owner/designer of Harmony Jewellery. When she's not collaborating with local artisans on her latest creations, Dror is scouting out new and fabulous entries for the LUXE HCMC guide.
Freelance editor and scribe Sarah hails from one of the less lovely bits of the Garden of England, which she promptly swapped for a stint with Mr & Mrs Smith in Melbourne. Now back in London she efficiently divides her time between words and eating.
- Sarah LOVES... Discovering the crisps and confectionery of new nations. Anything with a whiff of seaside
- Sarah LOATHES... Non-Heinz ketchup. Long division
Aussie shutterbug Ashleigh Larden is based in Sydney’s Northern Beaches. When she’s not working on photography or video shoots for clients, she’s invariably travelling, eating her way through every destination with camera in hand.
LUXE's Wellness expert Dervla was born in the Middle East, educated in Europe and moved to Asia in 2012. She's a globetrotting marathon runner, wellness retreat aficionado, yoga teacher, and the founder of CompareRetreats.com.
- Dervla LOVES... Google Maps, flowers, ethically-sourced butterfly taxidermy, golden pineapples
- Dervla LOATHES... Loud people on planes, long layovers, cheap fabric
Simon is an @travellerati from way back. English by birth, Australian by choice, Hong Konger by happy fortune, he started travelling independently as a teenager, and hasn’t stayed still since. Now he commutes to work in a sampan with LUXE mascot, Izzy the Springer Spaniel.
- Simon LOVES... Bach, the Australian outback, oysters
- Simon LOATHES... Plastic, Christmas playlists, luggage with wheels
London-born Siobhan has worked for the Guardian, TripAdvisor and Expedia (UK) and Cedar (Hong Kong). She spent part of her MA studying in Malta before moving to Hong Kong in 2016 to continue her editorial adventures in Asia. She joined the LUXE team in 2018.
- Siobhan LOVES... Tiny islands, big cities
- Siobhan LOATHES… Packing, slow walkers
Happiest trail running, riding a Vesper or flying somewhere new, freelance writer Laura lived in Hong Kong for 13 years before recently moving back home to Cape Town. Now South African Country Manager for luxury rental company Stay One Degree, she’s loving reacquainting herself with the Mother City.
- Laura LOVES... The sound of rain, seeing what’s around the next corner, reading by the fire (with dark chocolate and red wine)
- Laura LOATHES... Rudeness, litter, chain restaurants
Bangalorette Nirja is a curious storyteller who shares her travel, food and style discoveries on The Stylish Dish. After a stint working in luxury PR in London, she's back in her home city consulting for luxury and lifestyle brands. When it's time to escape, Nirja pops off to spot leopards in the wild or swim with turtles under the sea.
- Nirja LOVES... Artisanal coffee, vintage posters
- Nirja LOATHES... Shopping malls
Intrepid traveller, storyteller and photographer, Andrea has spent the last 20 years pushing the boundaries of travel, oft reaching inaccessible cultural and natural landscapes. When not on the road, you'll find Andrea designing tailor-made itineraries for his travel company, Blueflower.
- Andrea LOVES... Getting under the skin of a place, masks, storytelling, negroni, picnics, meaningful conversations with locals and Spotify
- Andrea LOATHES... Aeroplane announcements, touristy experiences, roaming charges, visas
When Colorado native Kate arrived in Florence for a study year, she never guessed it would change her life. Almost two decades later and she’s working in Florence’s thriving contemporary art and luxury travel sectors, having acquired an Italian husband and two beautiful children along the way.
With previous stints at The Urban List Melbourne and Crown Hotels, Ella packed bags and moved to Hong Kong to join the team in 2016. When she's not steering LUXE's online marketing strategy, Ella enjoys eating her way around the city.
- Ella LOVES... Weekends away, al fresco bars, podcasts
- Ella LOATHES... Turbulence, Insta shoots, weak cocktails
Born in Peru to nomadic Swedish parents, Andrea’s childhood was spent in six different countries. A citizen of everywhere and nowhere she currently calls Singapore home. When not working her magic as a marketeer and PR, Andrea is an avid traveller, counting experiences as diverse as climbing the Himalayas, skiing with St. Bernards and meditating with monks in Myanmar.
- Andrea LOVES… Burrata in Puglia, sunsets in Bali, coffee in Sydney, yoga anywhere, any time, and furry creatures of the canine variety.
- Andrea LOATHES… Bad coffee, bad wine and bad manners
Hailing from London stylist, yogi and longtime Madrileño Lou is the founder of The Style-Editors, a personal styling and shopping agency. Usually out and about scouting for trends, hunting down retail finds for clients or touring with an artist, Lou spends her downtime on the yoga mat.
- Lou LOVES... Exploring new places, good red wine, sunglasses, weekend escapes
- Lou LOATHES... grilled pigs ear (a Madrid speciality), crowded places, long layovers, complainers
Brian is a quintessential TCK whose studies have taken him to the US and London, but Hong Kong will always be home. Currently studying for an MA, his dissertation explores notions of Hong Kong identity via Hong Kong literature. The Web and Social Media Editor for PEN Hong Kong, Brian also freelances for local publications.
Subscribe Now For US$5 Off!
Subscribe to LUXE & receive US$5 off your next
print purchase*. Bonanza!